Kirk Research Info

SKIP001 Rutherford’s Well

This Well is located on the edge of the wood, around 200 meters to the east of Anwoth Old Kirk.   It is not recorded in the RCAHMS Inventory of 1914, and information about it is very sketchy.  It is named after the Minister of Anworth, Samuel Rutherford, between 1627-39.

It is highly probable that this is a fairly modern ‘well’ as it is really a shallow pool fed by a spring, with a small modern structure covering it.

The RCAHMS (now HES) visited in 2012 and tend to agree with the ‘modern view’  see http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/63639/details/rutherford+s+well for details.


To do:  Further historical research.