Locheltun or Lochelletun (Kelton)

E. M. H. McKerlie writting in her ‘Pilgrim Spots in Galloway’ in 1916 tells us that she believed Lochelletun (Lochelton) was proably the original name for the Parish or church, probably Keton Old.   She tells us the name was mentioned in a grant to the Abbey of Holyrood by Uchtred, Lord of Galloway.

She writes that Kelron, or Lochellettun, had belonged to the Columban monks, and it then passed to Holyrood under a grant of  William the Lion, confirmed in the 13th Century by John, Bishop of Galloway

The Loch reffered to in the name would be Carlingwark Loch, now in Castle Douglas.