Kelton Parish – Fir Island Chapel Site?

Fir Island, Carlingwark Loch, Kelton Parish
Fir Island, Carlingwark Loch, Kelton Parish

Fir Island sitting in Carlingwark Loch, Castle Douglas is relativly small.  There are local traditions that the island may have been the home of a small Chapel, but there are no remains visible on the Island.

In the 1st Statistical account of Scotland published in the 1790’s (vol III 297-307) the write of the Kelton account states :

“There was always a tradition in the parish, that there had been a town in the loch, which sunk, or was drowned; and that there were two churches or chapels, one on each of the two large isles”

The other isle mentioned is probably Ash Island.

Other references:

Canmore link: http://canmore.org.uk/site/64675/fir-island

Places of Worship in Scotland link: http://scottishchurches.org.uk/sites/site/id/9718

View a location map: View Fir Island on gridreferencefinder.com

Images:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.