Kirk Research Info

SKIP0008 ANWOTH PARISH CHURCH

Large Description of Galloway by Andrew Symson, Minister of Kirkinner written 1684. Published by Andrew Symson, 1823  This parish-kirk is near seaven miles distant from the town of Kircudburgh westward, just in the way betwixt Kirkcudburgh and Wigton. Sir Godfrey M’Culloch of Myrton, as Laird of Cardiness, is patron hereof. It is separated, on the […]

Kirk Research Info

SKIP0205 Troqueer Parish

Large Description of Galloway by Andrew Symson, Minister of Kirkinner written 1684. Published by Andrew Symson, 1823 TRAQUEER. The Bishop of Galloway is patron hereof; it being a pendicle of the Abbacy of Tongueland, of which more hereafter, when we shall have occasion to answer the querie concerning the revenues of the Bishoprick of Galloway. […]

Kirk Research Info

SKiP0201 Tongland Parish Church (Derelict )

Tongland Parish Church sits in the graveyard at Tongland alongside the remains of its predecessor, and most likly on the site of the medieval Abbey of Tongland. As you can see from the video above, it is in a poor condition, now roofless, having been last used for worship in the 1930’s. Canmore Link http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/215036/ […]

Kirk Research Info

Kelton Parish – Fir Island Chapel Site?

Fir Island sitting in Carlingwark Loch, Castle Douglas is relativly small.  There are local traditions that the island may have been the home of a small Chapel, but there are no remains visible on the Island. In the 1st Statistical account of Scotland published in the 1790’s (vol III 297-307) the write of the Kelton […]

Kirk Research Info

St John’s Town of Dalry Parish Church & Vestry

Constructed in 1831 on the side of a hill beside the old remains of the old church of 1771, mainly the Gordon Aisle, 1546, burial place of the Gordons of Lochinvar.   and the ‘King’s Ford’, on the Pilgrimage route to Whithorn. Construction is whinstone and sandstone walls and a slate roof. It is in full ecclesiastical […]