All posts by stephenclancy

ST RINGAN’S WELL

Sadly this well no longer exists, being filled in during the late 1960’s early 1970’s.  The RCAHMS record for the site indicates that during their visit in 1972the water from the well was now piped to a tank 50m south west of the well.

E M H Mckerlie desrbes the well as:

”an oblong aperture, full of clear brown water, with a stone-slab, which had been used as a cover, lying on one side, amid nettles, grass and stones.”

Close by the remains of Kirkcormack can be clearly seen.  See SKiP0098 for details of Kirkcormack.

Canmore record: http://canmore.org.uk/site/64517/st-ringans-well 

Locheltun or Lochelletun (Kelton)

E. M. H. McKerlie writting in her ‘Pilgrim Spots in Galloway’ in 1916 tells us that she believed Lochelletun (Lochelton) was proably the original name for the Parish or church, probably Keton Old.   She tells us the name was mentioned in a grant to the Abbey of Holyrood by Uchtred, Lord of Galloway.

She writes that Kelron, or Lochellettun, had belonged to the Columban monks, and it then passed to Holyrood under a grant of  William the Lion, confirmed in the 13th Century by John, Bishop of Galloway

The Loch reffered to in the name would be Carlingwark Loch, now in Castle Douglas.

 

 

Kelton Parish – Fir Island Chapel Site?

Fir Island, Carlingwark Loch, Kelton Parish
Fir Island, Carlingwark Loch, Kelton Parish

Fir Island sitting in Carlingwark Loch, Castle Douglas is relativly small.  There are local traditions that the island may have been the home of a small Chapel, but there are no remains visible on the Island.

In the 1st Statistical account of Scotland published in the 1790’s (vol III 297-307) the write of the Kelton account states :

“There was always a tradition in the parish, that there had been a town in the loch, which sunk, or was drowned; and that there were two churches or chapels, one on each of the two large isles”

The other isle mentioned is probably Ash Island.

Other references:

Canmore link: http://canmore.org.uk/site/64675/fir-island

Places of Worship in Scotland link: http://scottishchurches.org.uk/sites/site/id/9718

View a location map: View Fir Island on gridreferencefinder.com

Images:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

St John’s Town of Dalry Parish Church & Vestry

Constructed in 1831 on the side of a hill beside the old remains of the old church of 1771, mainly the Gordon Aisle, 1546, burial place of the Gordons of Lochinvar.   and the ‘King’s Ford’, on the Pilgrimage route to Whithorn. Construction is whinstone and sandstone walls and a slate roof. It is in full ecclesiastical use and in good condition.    The vestry sits apart from the church, with the old church aisle clearly visible as a burial lair today. Records are scarce, but a dilapidated church, existed in 1427.

The church is listed in the Scottish Churches Site here

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Buittle Parish Church

Buittle Parish Church was constructed in 1819 with Sandstone used for the main walls and slate for the roof.  It was built on rising ground close to the old Medieval church  and eventually closed for public worship on the 11th July 2010.  A few pictures of the interior are available on the Linked Charges website

The Church is listed on the Scottish Churches website here

Images 12th December 2013

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

 

 

SKIP003 Anwoth Old Kirk

Anwoth Old Kirk

The old Kirk of Anwoth is situated about 2 miles west of  Gatehouse-of-Fleet, within a walled churchyard on the right bank of a small stream called the Skyreburn.

In plan, it is a simple oblong measuring about 21.34m by 5.59m , within walls not exceeding 1.07m in thickness. There is a doorway in both the east and west walls 0.99m in width, with a simple splay worked on the outer jambs and cheeked for doors to open inwards. The arch-head of the west doorway has been patched in several places, but it is apparent that the form to the exterior has been semicircular. The upper part of the west wall is pierced by a single square-headed window, and the gable is finished with a square stone belfry. The south wall has contained five windows, four of which have been built up on the interior. The south-east window is 0.91m in width, divided into two lights by a moulded mullion 0.18min width, and with jambs moulded in the form of a double hollow with a check between. At the north-east angle are the remains of an outside stair, which no doubt led to a gallery over the east end of the building. The north wall has no openings, but rough  indications of a built-up doorway exist near the west end. Abutting upon the south wall at the east end of the church is a comparatively modern tomb-house with a doorway in the west wall. It measures 4.1m by 4m over walls about 0.61m in thickness, the west wall encroaching 0.15m over the east jamb of the mullioned window noted above. The side walls of the church are about2.9m in height, and in a fair state of repair.

The first documentary evidence for a Kirk at this site is in the 12th Century when it was given to Holyrood Abbey.

The Present ruins can be dated to 1626/27 and were probably the result of the reconstruction of the pre-reformation church.

SKIP002 Kirkbride, Anworh

Kirkbride, Anwoth Parish

A church and graveyard are mentioned in the 1914 RCAHMS Inventory, but only as a supposed site.  It is described as being 1/4  of a mile north-west from Kirkbride Farm.

Over the years the RCAHMS have presumed this to be the site of a Church and Graveyard, but in 1994 a visit to the site prompted the assessment that it is probably prehistoric in nature ‘There is no field evidence to suggest the presence of a church, and the enclosure is more likely to represent the remains of a prehistoric settlement’.

Only a geophysical survey of the site would be able to confirm the presence of a church within the enclosure, and a graveyard.

________________________________

To do:  other historical Research, and site visit for image.  Geophysical  survey?

 

SKIP001 Rutherford’s Well

Rutherford’s Well

This Well is located on the edge of the wood, around 200 meters to the east of Anwoth Old Kirk.   It is not recorded in the RCAHMS Inventory of 1914, and information about it is very sketchy.  It is named after the Minister of Anworth, Samuel Rutherford, between 1627-39.

It is highly probable that this is a fairly modern ‘well’ as it is really a shallow pool fed by a spring, with a small modern structure covering it.

The RCAHMS visited in 2012 and tend to agree with the ‘modern view’  see http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/63639/details/rutherford+s+well for details.

______________

To do:  Further historical research.